Sunday, March 21, 2010

I'm Not Gonna Lie...

This weekend sucked. Had to say goodbye (never an easy thing for me) to arguably one of the kindest, most loving, sincere and genuine men whom I've ever had the pleasure of calling Grandpa, Big Grandpa or 'Uello. 'Uello's love has brought me so many blessings during my life that are innumerable and it makes it difficult for me to reflect upon them when the tears still blur my vision. His character and friendly disposition radiated from him wherever he went and was felt by everyone he met. It was evident by the number of people in attendance at his funeral. I was amazed at the number of people who came from near and far, who braved the inclement weather to help remember and celebrate his humble, yet rich life. I've no doubt that when Grandpa entered Heaven, God looked down on him and said, 'Well done, good and faithful servant.' He was a wonderful role model of love, tolerance and acceptance. I can't imagine a life without 'Uello, but that is now my reality. I am thankful for the time I had with him and know that I am a much better wife, mother, daughter, sister and friend because of it.


*ahem*

Now then. On to the much less serious (although only slightly less sentimental) reasons why this weekend totally sucked. Did you hear the one about the #1 overall seed in the country getting beat by UNI in the second round? Yeah, I didn't care for the punch line either. Moving on...

Then there's our kitchen. For those of you out there who aren't aware, we are getting ready (the contractor comes tomorrow at 8) to give the kitchen a make-over. We decided that we could prep the walls ourselves, thereby saving some money and then paying them to do the actual painting. So we're in the process of taking the previous owner's choice (blech) of wallpaper down and removing the adhesive they used to spackle it on with. If only it proved to be that easy. Upon further inspection, we've found about 3 OTHER layers of wallpaper with a layer or two of paint between those layers. All I could think was, 'Who the...' 'What the...' 'Why in the...' and incredulously ask myself, 'Really? Really. REALLY???!!!' My medium-sized kitchen just got gigantic overnight. I'd post pictures of it, but after all this typing and all the scraping I've done already, I just don't have it in me. I'm out. I've never been so happy for a Monday to come.

No comments: