Friday, August 28, 2009

WARNING!!!!

Below is the promised slide show of our trip to Omaha. I'm warning you, it's 186 photos of my kids and Rusty enjoying every moment (well, almost every moment, but you'll have to look through all the photos to see which ones weren't so enjoyable :D ) of our time up there. And I say my kids and Rusty because out of the 750 photos taken, only one is of me. Again, you'll have to go through all of them to find the one and only. We had a few bumps along the way, like when I tripped on a wood frame in the middle of a walking path at the zoo. I cut the bottom of my toe open and found out later that night that I split the top left quadrant of my toenail off, too! It was no wonder it felt like I nearly broke it! Anyway, after having to walk on my gimpy toe for over half of our trip around the zoo, I finally saw a nurse's station. The nurse there was very kind and gentle on my toe and dressed it nicely. One thing though: she didn't put on gloves OR wash her hands before she started cleaning up my toe. If you know me at all, you can imagine how appalled I was at seeing this. I'm thinking, 'If this woman didn't wash and glove up for my dirty, bloody, flip-flop wearing toe, she probably didn't wash up on her last victim, er, I mean patient...' *shudder* I still get a little woozy when I think about it. I just have to keep convincing myself that I was her first and only patient that day. And there was the moment we all had been waiting for at the children's museum. The one where Lydia was supposed to be overjoyed and giddy when meeting her favorite red, furry monster...*sigh and slow head shake* But the pictures of the carousel ride are much better this time around since I had my feet safely planted on terra firma.

But those were the only bumps on our journey. By the way, did you know that they grow corn everywhere in Nebraska? I mean EVERY. WHERE. Like, in the middle of town, next to a sports bar, behind a hotel, around a hospital, in the medians of outdoor shopping malls...and this was just in the 10 mile radius around the hotel where we stayed at in Omaha. I realize it's called the Cornhusker State for a reason, but come on! They are doing nothing to dispel any of these stereotypes regarding the state.

Anyhoo, we also got to eat at a really cool place called California Tacos. It was featured on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. It was delish! When I ordered our chips and queso the guy behind the counter said to me, 'Corn, flour or mixed chips?' I tell you I thought I could hear trumpets sound and angels sing! And for just a moment I thought I was back in Salina, ordering at La Hacienda. If you're ever in Omaha, I would highly recommend stopping by for a visit, no matter how tricky the parking, right Rusty? *wink*

So, as I mentioned before, here are 186 photos from our trip that I found worthy of sharing with you. And you'll be happy to know that no, I didn't include every picture of every animal at the Henry Doorly Zoo. Now that would just be overkill! *snickering*

No comments: