Saturday, March 28, 2009

A Tale of Survival

My tale of woe does not take place in some deserted or desolate place with me all alone left to fend for myself in the wild. In fact, quite the contrary. No, my tale begins in good old Topeka, Kansas during spring break. Yeah, that's right, T-town. But here's where it gets interesting: I'm talking about el Carlos de Queso, otherwise known as Chuck E. Cheese. {gasp} and {duh duh duuuhhh} Chuck E. Cheese during Spring Break. And during KU's first game of the NCAA Tournament. Can you imagine anything more ludicrous? Well, it was all worth it, believe me.

My friend Kitra and her family came to town and it's been ages since I've last seen her, so I was a good sport, loaded up the kids, made sure I had a working radio and earphones and headed for CEC. I had my reservations concerning the timing of our outing, but I don't get to see my friend and her family nearly enough, so it was important to me to be there. From the moment I was about 100 yards away from the parking lot, I could tell it was going to be mayhem from the get go. Literally, wall to wall bodies. Big and many, many, many little bodies. EVERYWHERE. Fast forward through lunch, giving Cade only 5 tokens at a time (I made him come back to check in with me after 5 tokens to keep tabs on him), and on to the on-stage antics of our youngest little cuties. OMG. They were adorable. Really. Dancing from one end of the stage to the other.

Somehow, Kitra and her crew made it out of there long before we did. But the most unbelievable thing about the whole visit was the waiting line to get in. You know in the movie Knocked Up when the sisters go out to a club and there is a long line with a bouncer at the front and he won't let anyone in because the club is all "one in, one out"? That pretty much describes the scene on our way out. No joke. But in this case, the bouncer behind the velvet rope was the teenage girl with the glow in the dark ink pad and the number stamp. Are you getting what I'm saying here? THERE WAS A LINE OF PEOPLE OUT THE DOOR VOLUNTARILY WAITING TO GET IN. And it was after 2:00 in the afternoon. Cra-zy. And I survived to tell the tale.

This is why it was SSSSSOOOOO worth it:


Could these two be any cuter?
(Mini-Kitra and Mini-Me)


Dancing on stage with the band.

Keeping an eye on the mechanical Chuck E.


Keylee is admiring Lydia's Jayhawk and Lydia is wondering where Keylee's is.


Checking out some other kid's haul.


Up close and personal with Chuck E.


A final wave.

No comments: