Tuesday, June 29, 2010

An Exercise in Revisiting the Past


Last week Cade attended the Wildcat Basketball Camp at Hayden High School. He was looking forward to it and he had a blast. Now, for those of you who aren't aware, the head boy's basketball coach is Ted Schuler. Ted and I attended Washburn at the same time. He was on the men's basketball team and I cheered for him. And you know when you're young, in college, think the world is your oyster and you...umm...maybe...do silly things while in college around your friends and/or others that 15 years later you kinda sorta are embarrassed about and maybe wish you and everyone else would forget? You know, like when you see some of those people later in life, well adjusted, married, with kids, an upstanding member of the community? Well. I'm not saying I did any of those things (not saying I didn't, either, just sayin'), but you kind of have a reality check when you go to leave your firstborn with one of those persons you maybe witnessed doing something of that sort or who maybe witnessed you doing something of that sort. Believe me, it's a bit surreal to say the least. And you pray with all your might that the other person is (or at least pretends to be for all intents and purposes) as grown up and responsible as you are now. On the drive to wherever Lydia and I went after dropping Cade off that first day, I found myself chanting to myself, "I just left my child with Ted Schuler. I just left my child with TED SCHULER! I JUST LEFT MY CHILD WITH TED SCHULER!!!!!"
Needless to say, everything was fine. I'm more than happy to share with you that he was absolutely wonderful with the kiddos. Really. I was happy to leave Cade the next few days. Turns out we all maybe do grow up after all. Just a little bit, anyway.






No comments: